- Eleftheria Square or Potemkin Corridor?
An interview by Nate Burg from Fast Company Magazine for the article on Eleftheria Square was published on February 18, 2022, by Thinking Dog Editions, Cyprus. In the article of Nate Burg in Fast Company on February 18, you can find an excerpt from the answers to Nate's questions.
- Η αναβίωση της παλιάς πόλης της Λευκωσίας. Για ποιους;
The urban regeneration of Nicosia old city. For whom? Thinking Dog Editions, Nicosia 2022
- Caring for…? Towards a Territorial Geographic Repair Approach
Metabolic Cities, Europan 16 analysis article, pp. 162-165
- Localities Hands-on Famagusta
Urban Commons Research Collective, (ed) "Urban Commons Handbook", with Akbil, E. Can, E. Constantinou Ch. Ozersay Ozgur M., Scharf L. , Barcelona: dpr-barcelona, pp. 148-163
- Borders and Boundaries of Control. Academia Letters, Article 153. https://doi.org/10.20935/AL153.
- Negotiate as you go along: infrastructures for shared hybrid territories
in COSMOPOLITAN HABITAT
Editors: Jörg Schröder, Maurizio Carta, Federica Scaffidi, Annalisa Cantato
- “No Park over Pain” Το ημερολόγιο ενός επισκέπτη των Βαρωσίων, ένα φθινοπωρινό ηλιόλουστο Κυριακάτικο απόγευμα, Νοέμβριος 2020
"No Park over Pain" is a positional narrative regarding my reactions during the first visit to the fenced-off Varosha, Famagusta, in early November 2020. Varosha is illegally opened by Turkey in October 2020, ignoring all United Nations resolutions. A translation in English will follow soon.
This is the first publication of the Thinking Dog Editions, Nicosia, Cyprus.
Thinking Dog Editions deal with minor practices in architecture, urbanism, and visual arts that address issues of politics of space and time
- Diffractive spatial practices for urgent pedagogies
Socrates Stratis writes about collectively initiated action projects in a divided Cyprus, creating a liminal space between formal institutional education and activism; manoeuvring through and beyond borders on alternative territories and policies by empowering resistance and co-operation.
- A Guide to Stand-up Activism
A guide for ‘stand-up’ activism: Performing a counter-mapped isometric drawing in ‘The Observers Observed: Architectural Uses of Ethnography’ by Jaap Bakema Study Centre.
- Social Design for Sustainable Cities University of Cyprus
in Itkoken, M. Satalecka, E. Piechota, J., Weinmann, R. (eds) "IF Social Design for Sustainable Cities", Warsaw: Polish-Japanese Academy of Information Technology, 2021
- Third Space as Transitional Agent
Analysis article of the winning projects in Europan 15 Productive Cities under the subtheme Creating Proximities
- Powers of entanglement: a letter to Ray and Charles Eames, in Frolov, V. Project Baltia Journal, Letters from the Quarantine
- A counter-project about land regeneration and land use in Larnaca, Cyprus; or, an everyday little utopia
- Contested Fronts Archive: Emancipatory urban practices for constructive conflict transformation
Decolonizing archiving practices is about emancipatory actions rather than databases.
It is about conveying a multitude of actions where conflictual narratives
exist. The process of democratization of societies in conflict could take place by increasing the degree of access, of the constitution and of interpretation of archives that have to do with collective memory and urban knowledge. In spaces of conflict, however, any kind of public archive, and collective memory are under the control of the dominant political powers. They use them to sustain divisive status quos.
‘Contested Fronts: Commoning Practices for Conflict Transformation’ challenges such control. It is the curatorial project of the Cyprus pavilion, curated by the author, for the 15th Venice Biennale of Architecture. It is an open-source archive, part of an agonistic architecture, that assembles international spatial practices, networks and pedagogical programmes. They are complementary to an activist Cypriot project, the ‘Hands-on Famagusta’ project. They all offer methods, inspirations
and imaginaries about constructively transforming conflicts by encouraging the emergence of emancipatory commoning practices to support the commons during a potential reunification of the divided island of Cyprus. In the article I shortly discuss the political dimensions of archive and its use by critical spatial practices. I further on, discuss issues concerning conflict and how its transformation can have constructive or destructive consequences. Additionally, I unpack the three notions constituting the ‘Contested Fronts’ commoning practices, those of countermapping, threshold and controversy. I examine how ‘Contested Fronts’ constitute an open-source archive thanks to its content, to its performativity as well as to its manifestation in the form of exhibition-on-the move.
- Translocality as Urban Design Tool for the Inclusive City: The Case of Europan
In this article, I unpack the notion of translocality as an urban design tool that interrelates architecture, infrastructure and territory in Europe. The notion of translocality entails a strategic design tool to form specific relations between mobility and place towards the goal of a European inclusive city. Translocality involves mobility as an agent for co-producing locality as well as territories as hosts for place-making mobilities. I argue that Europan, a 30-year-old biennial urban design competition network for ideas and their implementation, has discreetly set the foundations for collectively addressing the inclusive city, offering many kinds of translocality. The article is based on the examination of diaries and notes of the author’s reflective practice thanks to his involvement in the Europan network. In addition, it examines the documents produced by the reflective practice of Europan. The findings help us formulate a strategic framework for collaborative European networks of urban design that can instigate common urban imaginaries for the inclusive city.
- Why Alice is not in Wonderland? Countering the Militarized status quo of Cyprus
Why Alice is not in Wonderland? Countering the militarized status quo of Cyprus is a narrative, part of the author’s diary. It is a reflection on a critical spatial practice, a performative event, titled “Alice in Meridianland… or the counter-militarization action”, part of the Buffer Fringe Performance Festival, Nicosia, Cyprus, 2019. The critical spatial practice comments on Cyprus’ actual militarization status by offering alternative urban imaginaries for the urban commons of an island without armies. It has taken place along a loop of streets and public spaces both in the north and the south parts of divided Nicosia. “Alice in Meridianland” is a camouflage tactic to conceal its anti-militaristic nature while crossing the guarded checkpoints into the city’s north part. Two tricycles, pulling 3-meter long banners, have followed the loop in opposite directions, three times. They met at designated areas and formed instant spaces of playful interaction. The narrative unpacks the entanglements between the performative event and the city’s users of the streets and public spaces. It unfolds how the event has generated new associations between the public spaces and the feelings of the participants and of the author. How it readjusted their mental maps and urban imaginaries. The narrative is a reflective tool for critical spatial practices in producing situated knowledge.
- Unseeing in the Cypriot Contested Cities in Architectuul
This FOMA in Architectuul is dedicated to the modernist architecture in Cyprus. Socrates Stratis is in search of the unseeing architecture and the cities following the novel The City and the City by China Mieville.
- Les défis du projet Europan comme dispositif politique et urbain à l'ère de l'anthropoène
- Topological Memorial Practices in suspended conditions”, in Topos/Topio, Melissa editions, Athens
The article is in Greek. It is part of a collective volume about Place / Landscape to celebrate Demetris Philippides work. The actual article is about our critical competition contribution (2nd prize) about the Mari Memorial in Cyprus. More precisely, we use architecture as spatial agency to show alternative ways of collective remembering of manmade disasters, away from dominant ones produced by religious and nationalistic practices.
- Three approaches to an inclusive city for makers”, in Europan 14 Session Analysis, edited by D. Rebois, Europan editions, Paris*, (Eng, Fr), also in Europan 14 German Catalogue, Berlin, (Engl)
- Challenges for the Grand Parisian Metropolitanization. Planning Theory & Practice
- About a Guide to Common Urban Imaginaries in Contested Spaces
Proceedings of Forming Together Famagusta's Vision, Conference organized by the Reconstruction and Resettlement Council, Nicosia, 2017
- Reclaiming Political Urbanism in Peace Building Processes Case Study: The Hands-on Famagusta project, Cyprus Socrates Stratis and Emre Akbil
This article is about reclaiming a political form of urbanism before the potential Cyprus reunification by enhancing, through the Hands-on Famagusta project, “agonistic” collective practices across the Cypriot divide.
- Faire les chiens couchants? Contribution sur les différentes manières de mettre en oeuvre un projet lauréat d’Europan
In French. You can find the English version which is also uploaded on this page entitled
"Play the Sleeping Dog? Ways for implementing a winning Europan project"
- "Play the Sleeping Dog? Ways for implementing a winning Europan project", in Urbanisme Journal, No 60, Paris
The original article is published in French
- Stratis (editor), "Guide to Common Urban Imaginaries in Contested Spaces: the Hands-on Famagusta project", jovis, Berlin
- “Negotiate as You Go Along: Infrastructures for Shared Hybrid Territories", Europan 13 Results, Europan Europe, Paris
- "Story One The Action Dove Graffiti or Upscaling Hands-on Initiatives" in Stratis "Guide to Common Urban Imaginaries in Contested Spaces", jovis Berlin, pp. 70-75
- "Story Two: Visual Matrices for Unveiling Enclaves" in Stratis (ed), "Guide to Common Urban Imaginaries in Contested Spaces", jovis, Berlin pp. 76-94
- Stratis, Akbil, Constantinou: " Story Three: Counter Mapped Isometric Drawing" in Stratis (ed), "Guide to Common Urban Imaginaries in Contested Spaces", jovis, Berlin, pp. 116-131 with Akbil and Constantinou
- Stratis, Constantinou: "Story Four: Overwhelming Presence of a City Model", in Stratis (ed.) "Guide to Common Urban Imaginaries in Contested Spaces", jovis, Berlin, pp. 132-146
- "Story Seven: Atlas of Designerly Visual Knowledge" in Stratis (ed) "Guide to Common Urban Imaginaries in Contested Spaces", jovis, Berlin, pp. 234-254
- "Supplement to City's Commons" in Stratis (ed) "Guide to Common Urban Imaginaries in Contested Spaces", jovis, Berlin, pp 255-263
- "Workshop Biennale 2016: The Cypriot Pavilion", Bauwelt 20.2016
See information about the interview of Socrates Stratis by Kaye Geipel in German at
- "Connecting Through Shared Spaces" in DAMDI "Architectural Presentations"
- Introduction -Architecture As Urban Practice In Contested Spaces", in "Guide to Common Urban Imaginaries in Contested Spaces", jovis Berlin pp. 13-45
- "Architecture-As-Urbanism For Uncertain Conditions" in Europan 12 Results: Adaptable City, Europan edtions, Paris
- "Learning From Failures - Architectures Of Emergency In Contested Spaces(Pyla,Cyprus",Footprint Journal
- "Encouraging Co-existences through poly-rhythmic urban environments:The Urban-A-Where project","The UAW BOOK:About Urban Awareness",S.Stratis,DAMDI
- "From Fragment to Eco-island: archipelago à la carte"(with Ioannou,Papastergiou),EAR Journal,No 33
- "Welcome Back In My Back Yard: an urban porosity interrogation","Ideas Changing,Europan Implementations,Europan Europe
- "Pyla Master Plan",(with M.Ozgur)SEE Publication Archis
- "Issues of diplomacy in re-assembling around"commons of concern"" ,"Uncovered",P.Paraskevaidou,B.senova
- "Architectures of Encouraging Publicness",BME Urbanisztika ,Urban Renewall,Vol.1
- "Nicosia Master Plan",100th yeat edition "Learning from Europe",Bawelt
- "Making Complicities: Expanding the project’s territory"with Bernd Vlay ,"Europan 10 results:Inventing Urbanity",Europan editions
- "Visualizing Relations In Architecture: A Pedagogical Approach", "Design:Principles & Practices, an International Journal" ,Vol 3
- "The notion of game as part urban design practices","Design:Principles&Practices,an International Journal" ,Vol 4
- Glocal/Translocal Interview in "What Future for the Europan Competition
- "Process Paths Alterations: Europan 8 Larnaca Cyprus","Public Spheres",Europan
- "Public-private relations viewed throught the role of topography:the production of the built environment in Cyprus","Looking at European architecture:a critical view",Sylvie Lemaire,Cristophe Pourtois,Caroline Vermeulen,CIVA
- "Public-private relations viewed through the role of the topography",Architectonika Themata Annual Review 4/2007,Socratis stratis Guest editor
- "The role of the empty: projects on open spaces","Methodes of Rehabitation",RehabMed
"Reprogramming urban voids through a project based logic action in architecture:a self reflective comparative analysis of a project in Athienou,Cyprus and a project in Heraclion,Crete"
- "Architecture in Cyprus seen through the relations between public and private domains" ,Architectonika Themata Annual Review 4/2007,Socratis stratis Guest editor
- "Urbanising with Infrastructures-crossing networks/creating new polarities in relation to the networks",Catalogue of Europan Results of Europan 8
- "Cyprus: The "CALL # 192" Project","UROPEAN URBANITY,Europan 7 and 8 Austria and Slovenia ",Bernd Vlay, Paul Rajakovics,Marco Studen
- "Generating the new – Agii Anargiri, Larnaca, Cyprus",article,Catalogue of Results of Europan 8,Norway
- "The Cyprus case","The (un)common place -art,public space and urban aesthetics in Europe",Bartolomeo Pietromarchi
- "The Leaps of Faith 2005 Art project: a potential virus for friction in the everyday life" , Article in Radikal Newspaper
The Call # 192 Project, Leaps of Faith International Arts Exhibition, Article in Radikal Newspaper, 2005, English Version
- "Transgressing limits between parallel worlds,Nicosia,Cyprus",PUBLIC,Going Public '04 ,Silvana Editoriale
- "Commonness in parallel worlds:The anatomy of coffee trips in spaces of borders","Paradigmata",Greek catalogue for the 9th International Architectural Exhibition ,Venice Biennalle
- "A project based action in an urban-architectural scale","The new condtiions of the urban project"(Les nouveles conditions du project urbain),directed by Alain Charre,editions Mardaga